by Sojos | September 18, 2012
In a country that truly loves its pets, some cities stand out for being exceptionally dog-friendly. From pooch-welcoming patios to abundant trails and parks, many factors go into making a town a doggie paradise. In Minneapolis-St. Paul – also known as Sojos HQ – there’s just about everything a dog owner could want.
So, what is it that makes our hometown so dog-friendly? Here are just a few examples of amenities that keep people and their pooches happy:
* Access to nature. With dozens upon dozens of dedicated off-leash dog parks located everywhere from the heart of the city to the suburbs, dogs have plenty of room to run and socialize. Hundreds of miles of biking and walking trails in the metro area offer even more opportunity to explore the great outdoors.
* Businesses that welcome dogs. Of course, business owners always appreciate you asking if you can bring your dog in, but in many Twin Cities shops, you’ll find the answer is “yes!” From Uptown’s Apple Store to Nokomis Shoe Shop, dogs are welcome in numerous shops around the metro area.
* Top-notch pet suppliers. Pet owners are spoiled for choice when it comes to shopping for their best buddies. Minneapolis, St. Paul and the metro area suburbs all have excellent shopping options for those who want the best, from dog beds to raw dog food to high-design squeaky toys. Some of our favorites are UrbAnimal, It’s A Pet’s Life, Bone Adventure, and Chuck and Don’s.
* Rescue and care organizations. Breed-specific rescue organizations are well-represented in Minneapolis-St. Paul, from Aussies to Shih Tzus and beyond. There’s also a robust population of no-kill shelters, such as Animal Ark and Homeward Bound, and even a few organizations that provide lifetime homes to “unadoptable” animals, like Home for Life and Top Dog Foundation.
* Dog-friendly restaurants. Twin Citians love their outdoor dining and make the most of it during the warmer months of the year. Luckily for the dog lovers among the population, a significant number of restaurants welcome pets in their outdoor dining areas.
* Fun for sports fanatics. “Dog Day at the Dome” is a winter tradition that lets pet owners go for a walk on the concourses of the Metrodome, the Minnesota Vikings’ home field. The St. Paul Saints baseball team and Minnesota Swarm lacrosse team also welcomes owners and pets on “Dog Days.”
The Twin Cities also boasts one of the best online guides to dog-friendly living in SidewalkDog.com. It’s the go-to resource to find out which businesses are pet friendly or to learn about upcoming events that welcome dogs. Their own “Sushi with Your Poochie” events quickly became a well-loved tradition in the metro area.
We can’t help but be proud of the love our hometown shows to dogs – that’s why it’s the perfect place for Sojos to be located. If you’re not from Minneapolis and St. Paul, don’t be afraid to bring along your dog for a visit.
We’ll be profiling more dog-friendly cities across the country, so stay tuned. If you live in a pooch paradise, let us know what makes it great!